Cleaning chimneys at regular intervals is a good idea since creosote buildup can cause a dangerous chimney fire. Creosote is a hard, crust-like substance formed by the incomplete combustion of wood. Soot, like ash, is a combustible deposit that must be removed if it accumulates on the chimney walls. If this deposit accumulates to a depth of about 1/8 inch, the chimney must be cleaned to remove it.
It is important to remember that fireplace kits should never be utilized as furnaces. Fireplaces should only be used for short-term fires (approximately five hours). Up to three days after burning, fireplace coals can still be hot enough to ignite a fire. As a result, a vacuum should never be used to pick up the ashes because there is a chance that live coals will remain in the ashes. If there is still smoke in the house after cleaning out the chimney, ensure sure the damper is open. If there is a lot of smoke pouring out of the chimney, it means that the wood isn't totally burned. These are just a few of the safety precautions that a homeowner should take when using fireplace kits.